Monday, March 22, 2010

Letters to Soldiers


In law school I learned that the Bill of Rights is not a "bill of responsibilities". We get many basic rights in this country and have almost no responsibilities. Even simple things like voting and paying taxes are avoided by a large number of people.

So who takes responsibility for us? One group that comes to mind is the US Military because they put their lives on the line in countries all over the world so that we are safe.

My act of kindness this week was to think of a way to help these troops who have taken an oath to protect our country.

We have over 60,000 troops in Afghanistan whose sole purpose is to fight terrorism where it lives and breathes. I'm not going to argue about whether I support the mission, I am going to support the troops. To put it into perspective, the number of troops in Afghanistan is equal to 1.5 times the population of any of the following towns or cities in New Jersey: Paramus, Hoboken, Pennsauken, or Atlantic City (yes people live there, it's not just a place to gamble and buy salt water taffy).

I went to Anysoldier.com and randomly selected a person to write a letter to. I then read some of the sample letters and tried to keep it short and sweet.

The letter I wrote is posted up at the top of the page. I am mailing the letter today and made sure to include my email address, maybe they will want to correspond.

This is our country, this is our world, we can make it pretty nice, it's our responsibility. And without stepping up and taking that responsibility seriously, we don't have the Bill of Rights.

1 comment:

Tata said...

such a good blog! im glad i came across it.

what you did was very very kind. :) im sure your letter will be greatly appreciated.

im managing a blog called 500 Strangers. Maybe you can participate in my campaign for kindness as well!

http://500strangers.blogspot.com

thanks for helping make the world a kinder place!

peace and love,
micah