Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A GPS Gives Me A Little Direction

Back in January I made the commitment to be kinder. I would try harder to be involved and I would find a way to do it as part of my life expression. As with many deals we make with ourselves, the Universe offered me opportunities almost immediately.

Not long after my "Commitment to Kindness" I was heading to Connecticut to a business appointment one morning. I stopped at a red light in Pequannock, NJ. I was talking to a friend on the phone when a small, frantic woman tapped on my window.

I rolled the window down and she hurriedly told me that she was late for a "cat scan" appointment and couldn't find the office, could I help her?

I really felt for her. I told her that I had a GPS and if she had the address, I could drive there following the directions and she could follow me in her car. I called the office to confirm the address and I plugged it into my GPS.

The small frantic woman got back into her car. She followed me to the medical office and waived to me as she exited her car, running to her appointment. The entire episode took about 10 or 15 minutes.

I wonder if I was given the chance to help that woman because I was open to the opportunity? I wonder whether I have ignored other chances to connect with people that need help because I was too busy or disconnected.
When we are open to random acts of kindness, the opportunities will present themselves and it only takes 10 or 15 minutes to touch a life.
Have a great day.

No comments: